In light of recent events, many of you have asked how Scale Back Alabama plans to handle weigh-outs. After much consideration, the Scale Back Alabama Committee has decided to cancel weigh-outs for 2020. This decision did not come easy as we know how hard so many of you worked to develop healthy lifestyle habits this year.
Although weigh-outs have been cancelled, we will still be distributing individual cash prizes. Instead of just a few large cash prizes, we will be drawing for several smaller cash prizes. The drawing will take place on April 21 and all winners will be notified.
Thank you for understanding during this difficult time. We want to encourage you to continue on your healthy lifestyle journey and make plans to participate again in 2021!
2019 Team Prizes
- To be eligible for team prizes, each team member must lose at least 10 pounds during the 10-week challenge, as recorded by a coordinator at an official Scale Back Alabama weigh-in site.
- Winning teams are determined by a random drawing from all eligible teams.
- The first 3 teams drawn win $1,000 per team member, or a total of $2,000 for the entire team.
- The second 3 teams drawn win $500 per team member, or a total of $1,000 for the entire team.
- The final 3 teams drawn win $250 per team member, or a total of $500 for the entire team.
2019 Individual Prizes
- All individuals who lose at least 10 pounds, as recorded by a coordinator at an official Scale Back Alabama weigh-in site, are eligible for an individual prize, regardless of their team’s achievement. However, individuals that are drawn for a team prize are not eligible to win the individual prizes.
- From the pool of eligible participants, 40 individuals drawn win one of 40 achievement prizes of $100 per person.
- The individual prize drawings are conducted following the April 21 webcast announcing team prizes and are posted on the Scale Back Alabama website approximately two hours after the conclusion of the webcast.
Scale Back Alabama (SBA) is a free statewide weight-loss campaign designed to encourage Alabamians to get healthy and to have fun while doing it. Since the first challenge in 2007, Alabamians have lost more than one million pounds!
Scale Back Alabama is designed to address the state’s challenge with obesity; however, we caution individuals to check with their health care provider before beginning a new exercise or diet regimen.