The Scale Back Alabama program is a good fit for anyone who is ready to adopt healthier habits and looking for resources and a little guidance on how to do it. Our Blog and Health Tips will provide you with evidence-based nutrition, physical activity, and health information from experts from across the state. Check out Resources for links to healthy recipes, goal trackers, and more information to help you on your journey.
Because this is a self-guided, self-paced program, you can get creative with how you implement the program, but there are some general guidelines. Follow these 4 steps to get started:
1. Choose from our list of wellness goals.
Not every goal will apply to everyone’s unique situation. We invite you to choose the goal(s) that best fit where you are in your current season of life! Choosing 1-3 goals to focus on at a time is recommended.
- Drink 64 oz of water 5 or more days each week.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep 5 or more nights each week.
- Do strength training activities 2 or more days each week.
- Limit screen time to 2 hours or less per day for entertainment, 5 or more days each week.
- Eat at least 3 servings of fruits for 5 or more days each week.
- Eat at least 5 servings of veggies for 5 or more days each week.
- Lose 1-2 pounds each week.
- Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity 5 or more days each week.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast 5 or more days each week.
- Practice at least one stress-relieving technique on 5 or more days each week.
2. Decide how long you will track your progress.
Small, sustainable changes that fit your lifestyle have the greatest impact on your health. Tracking your goal(s) for a period of time will help turn these behavior(s) into habit(s) so that you begin to do them without having to think about it. We recommend tracking your progress for at least 21 days.
3. Get ready.
A little prep work will help make your goals easier to achieve. How you prepare will depend on your specific circumstances and which goal(s) you have chosen. Here are a few examples of things you might do to set yourself up for success:
- Get a large water bottle to fill up in the morning and bring it with you to sip on throughout the day.
- Create a weekly menu that includes plenty of veggies.
- Cut up fruit and place in plastic baggies or containers for convenient snacking.
- Put your walking shoes by the door for easy access.
- Research stress relieving techniques and decide which are a good fit for you (find more info on stress relieving techniques in our Resources section)
- Meal prep breakfast or shop for nutritious grab-and-go options to keep on hand
- Make plans with a friend to walk together daily during your lunch break.
4. Get busy.
Groups of Individuals
If you are interested in facilitating the Scale Back Alabama program for a group of individuals, visit Coordinators.