In light of recent events, many of you have asked how Scale Back Alabama plans to handle weigh-outs. After much consideration, the Scale Back Alabama Committee has decided to cancel weigh-outs for 2020. This decision did not come easy as we know how hard so many of you worked to develop healthy lifestyle habits this year.
Although weigh-outs have been cancelled, we will still be distributing individual cash prizes. Instead of just a few large cash prizes, we will be drawing for several smaller cash prizes. The drawing will take place on April 21 and all winners will be notified.
Thank you for understanding during this difficult time. We want to encourage you to continue on your healthy lifestyle journey and make plans to participate again in 2021!
Becoming a Weigh-In Site in 2020
Organizations interested in serving as an official Scale Back Alabama weigh-in site for next year’s contest, either open to the public or for its members only, should:
- Be located in the state of Alabama.
- Have at least 3 teams of 2 (and hopefully many more).
- Designate a coordinator to run the challenge at their site.
Your organization’s coordinator will need to email the following information to email@example.com:
- Name of the organization
- Coordinator’s name and contact information (email and phone)
Your coordinator will receive an email with the information needed to get started. All coordinators will receive a link to register online as an official Weigh-In Site, as well as a comprehensive Coordinators Toolkit.
Weigh-In Site Responsibilities
Once designated as an official Scale Back Alabama Weigh-In Site, your organization will be required to:
- Provide a place for people to weigh during the designated Weigh-In and Weigh-Out weeks. You can set the days and hours you will be doing weigh-ins as long as they fall within the weeks designated by Scale Back Alabama.
- Conduct weigh-ins and weigh-outs during the weeks designated by Scale Back Alabama. In order for participants to be eligible for prizes, they must weigh in and weigh out during the dates set by Scale Back Alabama.
- Promote your weigh-in location and times. If you’re hosting a public weigh-in site for participants outside of your own employees/members, your dates/location will be listed on this page. If you will only be conducting weigh-ins for your own participants (or organization’s members), you will need to publicize your dates, times, and locations, but the information will not be listed here. Scale Back Alabama will provide posters and other resources to help you publicize the weigh-in and weigh-out.
- Track individual beginning and end weights by computer. Scale Back Alabama will provide all weigh-in sites with a link to an online database to be used for entering participants registration information. Each site will be responsible for entering demographic information about participants (if not pre-registered), as well as their beginning and ending weights.
- Keep all collected information confidential.
Scale Back Alabama (SBA) is a free statewide weight-loss campaign designed to encourage Alabamians to get healthy and to have fun while doing it. Since the first challenge in 2007, Alabamians have lost more than one million pounds!
Scale Back Alabama is designed to address the state’s challenge with obesity; however, we caution individuals to check with their health care provider before beginning a new exercise or diet regimen.